Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Just another new year's resolution - right?

I've done this all before.... had a plan, achieved a goal... LAST YEAR I LOST 50+LBS AND RAN A HALF MARATHON.

Over the holidays this year I decided I would allow myself to enjoy and over indulge just a bit.  I never stopped working out, so really, why would it be so bad to have a few extra treats between halloween and new years?  I enjoyed all the amazing food the holidays had to offer.  I felt my clothes getting tight but I was confident in my workout regiment.  I knew I could "work it off" after January 1 so what's the big deal right?  What I didn't know, is that on new year's eve I would break my metatarsal on my left foot simply slipping down five stairs at home.  Yes, I was sober.

I could not believe what had happened.  I have had an obsession with my weight for over a year, and juuuust when I let myself "not worry about it", here I am on crutches.  Unable to carry my own son up the stairs to bed at night, let alone work off those extra pounds that now feel like sandbags as my right leg carried my entire body.

What would ensue over the next 4 weeks would make me mentally stronger and more steadfast in my convictions than ever before.  Relationships were gained and lost; including a lifelong 'friend' and a whirlwind 'romance'. Not to mention, I turned the big 3-0.

I vowed to use nutrition as my secret weapon during recovery.  I was trying to slow the inevitable weight gain since I couldn't even walk let alone work up a sweat.  I promised myself I wouldn't touch the scale until I was able to run again, because I would drive myself crazy with a weight number that I can't really do much to combat at the moment.

On Saturday February 5th I was able to get out and run.  I probably made it 4 miles running during my 6.5 mile outing.  A full month in a walking boot was over.  I was able to run again.  Next up - THE SCALE.

1 comment:

  1. That is so motivating Brandy! Thanks for sharing that! I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete