Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Last Weigh In before Race Day!!

TIME CHECK: 11Days, 19Hours, 29Minutes till the Buffalo Half Marathon... but who's counting.
 
I wasn't expecting a lot of love from the scale this week, and will be expecting even less for the next week or so.  This is why I have decided that after this morning, I'm not even weighing myself until AFTER the half marathon on May 29th.  
 
WHY?
 
Because of the effects of TAPERING that's why.  In running vocab, tapering refers to the slowing down of running for the few weeks leading up to a major event in order to preserve (hold on to) energy for race day.  If you're also someone trying to lose weight there's this nasty little catch...
 
ENERGY=CALORIES=POUNDS.
 
I need to preserve the energy to be the best I can be on race day.  For this reason I have to slow down my calorie burn and this means less loss.  Because I know this is a vital part of being a runner, I must put my bikini body mission aside for a couple weeks and focus on the 'Athlete' in me.  
 
HA! I just typed that with a straight face! I must be starting to believe I'm actually one of those...
 
an Athlete... wow.
 
I digress...
 
So next week's blog will focus on two things:
 
#1 - how the public speaking went (I'm speaking at Peak Training's running clinic and sharing my story to a new crop of runners as their own stories begin to unfold)
 
#2 - how I feel going into race weekend (as it will be less than a week away at that point)
 
WEIGHT CHANGE 
-1lb - WOOHOOO!!! Back to 160... 10 more baby!!
 
HOW MANY LBS TO GO
10lbs

GREAT HEALTHY FIND OF THE WEEK
Harvest Crunch Cereal (honey flavour).  Although the calorie count doesn't seem too appealing, the fibre count makes this a great addition to the morning portion of anyone's diet.  Little trick for you... adding milk will add approx. 150cals to any cereal in the morning... I take Harvest Crunch and top it with 3 TBSP of Source brand yogurt.  You're saving 100 cals on the dairy portion alone, and its a LOT easier to eat while chasing a 3yr old around the house getting ready in the morning (if you also have this pleasure).

INDULGENCE OF THE WEEK
A few patio lunches with friends (hey if there's sunshine and I have a coupon the chances are good that you'll see me around a patio on lunch).  This week though I made healthy menu item choices and ALWAYS opted for the side salad.

COMMENTS ON ANY FEEDBACK FROM THE PREVIOUS POSTING
I've had the opportunity to chat with 2 beginner runners this week and run with an ULTRA MARATHONER this week as well! Talk about extremes!! I hope all three of you know who you are and know that I'm honoured to get to know you better! 
 
One of you has been under my watchful eye most of your life.... know that I'm SO PROUD of you for taking on the challenge of running.  Although running may not be for everyone and that's totally fine, I can only hope that it brings you as much joy as it brings me.  I hope this is something that you and I can share for a lifetime.  <3 you to pieces. XO.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that cereal with yogurt doesn't sound good but if it works. Im so dang undisciplined in this area. I like bad foods.

    ReplyDelete