Friday, April 20, 2012

Training for my First Marathon: Week 14

I'M LOVING THIS TAPER SCHEDULE!!

Only 27 miles this past week... I'm spending more time planning the rest of my Nashville vacation than I am out on the pavement - and its been a looooong time since I could say something like that!

I have been focusing I have my packing list done, my race day list done, have been focusing on hydrating, had my tattoo consultation to commemorate my first marathon, and am already planning my post-marathon races.   

Thank goodness we have vacation planning and packing to think of this week, because if I was running a local race and didn't have all those other "to-do"s I think I would go bonkers with nervous excitement.

All there is left to do is run it.... and memorize the elevation chart... which looks like THIS:



One word to describe this chart... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!

It will take everything in me this Sunday to NOT over-train on the hills.  It is my last hills run and because of the pent up energy (on account of the tapering) all I want to do is pour my guts into the hills to 'prepare'.  But my mind knows better...

Pour my guts all over Nashville - not Windsor Ontario.

I still have never forgotten my dear friend Aymee's comment at the beginning of this training: "just wait till the end of the schedule when you're SO HAPPY your long run is ONLY 13 miles"!!  I thought she was nuts - but she was certainly right! 


This weekend its just a simple 10k followed by 5 miles on the hills.  I am only running one day next week and resting my legs after that.  With the race in 8 days, the last thing I want to do is wear myself out.


For the first time I feel like I'm at a loss for words... I am ready.  I am comfortable.  I am getting my race shirt (and Alison's too) printed with MARATHON ROOKIE this weekend.  All plans are set and all details ironed out.  I won't bother posting a blog next week and will instead provide you with as detailed a blog as I can the following week - chronicling my adventures during my very first full.


Thank you to EVERYONE that has emailed, facebooked, tweeted, and commented on here wishing me well.  Thanks for the feedback and the advice - I have truly taken it all in.  It will be very interesting when this is all said and done to go back and read this blog from week one - see me "scared" to run 15 miles.  Those feelings were - and always will be - valid.  Now they just seem like a lifetime ago.


After this marathon I will likely take a break from blogging for a couple of weeks but not TOO long because I have yet another challenge ahead of me... 







First thing's first though... 

Country Music Marathon
Run Rock N Roll Nasvhille 
7Days 15Hours 32Min 53Sec

No comments:

Post a Comment