Thursday, April 5, 2012

Training for my First Marathon: Week 12

I'm pretty sure THIS is what a runner's high feels like.... I certainly don't remember ever having quite this feeling before.  Here I am, on week 12 of a 16 wk marathon training program and a week after my first 30k race and I'm just as excited as ever to lace up my NB860s.  I was able to log 30 miles in my post-race training week and even completed my long 18 mile run on the weekend.  I would have been happy with any tapering necessary to let my legs recover from the race, but for some reason it just wasn't necessary.

I even managed to make it to hill training the day after my 18 miler! I headed to malden park to support some dear friends that ran the Miracle 5k and 10mile race, and cheered them on before taking the hills on myself.  Although I only got 5k of hills complete before I tapped out, I was glad that I had taken the time to volunteer and cheer for my friends, because they were the inspiration I needed to complete my own workout that day.

More than looking behind and reviewing the past week of training I can't help but look ahead.  The finish line is in sight.  Our travel and post-run vacation plans have been booked, my post-race tattoo consultation has been booked, and I only see ONE MORE hurdle on my training schedule: this week's 20-miler.
 
I am working hard on my nutrition for the last 4 weeks of training... I figure any 'dead' weight I can drop before the Marathon will make those last miles that much easier.  I even bought a picnic basket and filled it with fruits and veggies and put it at my desk for the week.  I will do this every week from now until the race.  If I can keep my nutrition in check and eat whatever quantities I need (as long as its healthy) I will feel that much better about making it to 26.2.

I can't thank my friends and family enough - the support, the encouragement, the kind words - they have all made such a difference.  This once daunting 16 week schedule is almost completely checked off... and I must admit, its kinda bittersweet. 


Countdown to Nashville: 22Days 18Hours 59Minutes 23Seconds






No comments:

Post a Comment