Thursday, February 23, 2012

Training for my first Marathon: Week 6

Week 6 was officially my highest mileage week EVER.  38 whoppin' miles including a 9 miler while most of my friends were on romantic Valentine's dinners.  

On that note I want to take a moment and say a huge THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart to my boyfriend Greg.  With his support I am able to run while my son is sleeping, and on most occasions I return home to a cleaner house than I left it.  My running girls have been my rock on the pavement, but man oh man this training challenge would have been immensely more difficult without his support, love, care, and amazing understanding.

Ok enough of the sappy stuff...

On that V-Day 9 miler I made a decision: I AM COMMITTED TO ENJOYING EVERY TRAINING RUN and if that means the pace on my running app doesn't have the numbers I want to see, then OH WELL!! I do not run for numbers.  I run for my life. 

My long run was 15 miles on a windy windy Saturday.  Mom and I headed out on the Greenway and luckily dealt with almost all cross-wind.  It felt good to do the distance, but at the tail end of the run I thought to myself "now imagine adding 11 more miles..." - - - I have a LOT more training to do!

Sunday's hill training was SO fun because I got to have my 2 best friends along with me.  Thank goodness for the laughs and good conversation because after the 15 miler the day before, my legs were jello!

I also decided that my Monday 3 milers will be taken off my schedule.  I need the three days of rest: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.  

Next week's schedule looks to be quite like this one, so we'll see how my legs feel after 2 heavy mileage weeks!

STAY TUNED!    

No comments:

Post a Comment