Thursday, February 16, 2012

Training for my first Marathon: Week 5

Well you may notice that I missed a week.... week 4 I was so sick I could barely run... and the thought of blogging about a seemingly "failed week"only made me feel worse. 

................. so on to week 5!

Week 5 was a "cut back" week - only 20 miles!  It was perfect timing considering I'm still trying to recover from my cold/flu and my legs were in a permanent state of fatigue.  The cut back week felt almost like a vacation! My long run was ONLY 10 miles!! I'm looking forward to getting healthy, but to be completely honest, doubt is creeping in that I'll be able to finish this marathon anywhere close to 4h 30min.

I'm so glad to know that I'm not in this alone.  Having friends to struggle through this has made this whole experience a lot easier to process.

I'm also realizing that registering for a race between the half and full distance is a nice stepping stone.  When I get overwhelmed thinking about the full marathon, I tell myself that that race is sooooo far into the future and the only one to focus on at this point is the 30k Around The Bay in Hamilton.  Its only just over a month away, and its distance in mileage is still in the "teens"... eighteen to be exact.  The thought of running 5 miles past a half marathon with proper training is a lot easier to mentally digest.

Now if only I can keep this darn cough and cold away!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I couldn't be more excited not only to train and run "Our First FULL Marathon" with you but with some amazing friends! And to think that we will get through all the ups and downs together and knowing were not alone makes this journey so much easier!

    Love you and keep up the AMAZING hard work!

    Your Bestie,
    Alison
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete